Saturday, April 9, 2011

Were a royal Family

Friday was a day of castle going for the Dupont (and Esser and Rotzoll) family. I act like I know what I’m doing when it comes to local travel in northern Wales, but really I’m just winging it. I was pretty sure I had the bus system figured out but I asked at the station just to make sure we were heading in the right direction. Our first stop was going to be Beaumaris and we needed to take the 57 or 58 bus. We waited at the “D stop” where they should both stop within a few minutes, and sure enough they did. Our bus driver was super cool. He was a big help and could tell we were a bunch of tourists. He did a commentary while we drove from Bangor to Beaumaris and I think everyone really enjoyed it.

We arrived in Beaumaris and went right to castle exploring. Everyone thought the mote around the castle was pretty cool. I had been to the castle before so I tried my best at giving an educated tour. I really suck with all the history details but I know the year to remember is 1283. All of the Norman castles we built starting after 1283. We walked around the walls and then through the castle itself. (I feel like this part of the blog would be better from one of their perspectives because I have already been to the castles and explained what they were like and how I felt about it. Judy is taking detailed notes on everything they have been doing so I should have her do a guest blog; I will see if I can talk her into it because I’m sure it would make it more interesting.) After the castle we were going to go to the cute souvenir shop but it was closed, bummer! We went and got ice cream instead. Then we walked down to the pier, but they were working on it so that was kind of a bust too.
After Beaumaris we headed back to Bangor to catch a bus to Caenarfon. We decided we were hungry so we stopped for lunch at the Fat Cat. It was pretty tasty. (I don’t eat out much in Bangor, so I wasn’t really able to tell them where we should and shouldn’t eat but I think we did ok.) We were going to jump on the 5 bus to Caenarfon but 10 pulled up first and the sign on the front of the bus said Caenarfon too so we ended up taking that one. When we arrived at the bus station I wasn’t really sure which way to go because when I went there we came from a different direction and I just played follow the leader; I wasn’t really paying attention to where we were going. A local heard our dilemma so she pointed us in the right direction. It was pretty easy. All we had to do was walk around the corner, haha! I made the family sit through the extremely corney but educational video in the castle. It gave all the history that I really couldn’t remember. Everyone kept asking me questions but I never really had good (or correct) answers for them. I told Judy if there was anything she did in the Ceanarfon castle she should climb to the highest tower; the Eagle’s Nest. You can see forever in every direction from up there. She did manage to make it and I’m pretty sure she was happy she did. She was such a trooper! We hit a few of the gift shops and then headed back to Bangor.

That night I took them to a little hole in the wall restaurant for the traditional fish and chips and mushy peas. We were all stuffed by the time we were done eating. I even think I enjoyed the fish this time (it was the same place I went a few weeks ago). It was a Friday in lent so I thought fish and chips were a pretty good idea. That night we spent time in the B&B dining room playing the good old game of euchre. Dad and Pat and I versus Steve, Aggie and Mom; we got creamed every game I think. It was pretty funny, and it didn’t really feel like we were even playing euchre. We kept getting distracted with random things, but it was still fun.
Once again, they decided I wasn’t capable of walking back to my room by myself. So, everyone but Judy decided to walk me home. This ended up being a good thing. Dad and Steve hadn’t yet seen my place and they hadn’t walked bitch hill, so the girls thought they should. After we got to my room we decided we were still thirsty and we still needed to celebrate Aggie’s “birthday”. So where did I take them? Patty’s pub of course! We had a round of beers and then Aggie decided we needed to do a jager bomb for her birthday shot. After that I was ready for bed. They actually let me walk home the rest of the way by myself and then they made their way back down the hill.

Until next time…

~Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment